About OLD School
History and Vision
In June of 2003, The Outdoor Leadership and Discipleship School took its first four students into the wilderness for a two-week backpacking trip. The success of that trip launched a series of short-term trips throughout the following three summers. In the fall of 2006, OLD School leaders went all in, offering the first full wilderness discipleship semester. But offering the semester alone wasn’t enough. So in 2009, OLD School began working with various colleges and universities to offer college credit options for students. Its most current partnership is with Southeastern University in Lakeland, Fla. Throughout the years, OLD School continued to offer summer and semester courses until 2013, when leaders decided to drop the weeklong summer trips in order to focus all their efforts on the semester course. Eventual expansion goals include both spring and fall semesters in partnership with a growing number of universities.
Snowbird Wilderness Outfitters exists to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the exposition of scripture and personal relationships in order to equip the Church to impact this generation.
Statement of Faith
1. The Bible is the Word of God, written by men, divinely inspired of God and is sufficient for salvation, for trusting him completely, and for obeying him faithfully. (2 Tim 3:16-17, Deut 4:2; Prov 30:5-6; Psalm 119; 1 Peter 2:1-3)
2. God eternally exists in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Each person is fully God, and there is one God. (Deut 6:4; Matt 28:19; 2 Cor 13:14; Eph 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; Jude 20-21)
3. Man, created in the image and likeness of God, fell into bondage of sin through the temptation of Satan. Now, because of the inherited sin nature handed down to all of mankind because of Adam’s sin, human beings are spiritually dead and in need of a Savior. (Gen 1:26-27; Gen 5:1-2; Gen 3; Romans 3:9-19; Romans 5:12-19; Eph 2:1-2)
4. Salvation of sinners is wholly by grace through the atonement of our sins by Jesus Christ, who by the Holy Spirit was born of the virgin Mary and took upon Himself our nature, yet without sin, fully God and fully man. (Eph 2:8-9; Heb 2:17; 4:15; Luke 1:26- 37; Phil 2:5-11; 1 Cor 15; 2 Cor 5:11-21; 1 Peter 2: 22-25)
5. The blessings of salvation are offered freely to all who by repenting put their faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer. Salvation is impossible apart from Jesus Christ. All true believers endure to the end by the power of God. (Matt 10:22; John 1:11-14; 3:16,36; 10:27-29 Acts 2:21; 4:12; 16:31; Rom 3:23-25; 10:9-10; Acts 20:21; 2 Cor 7:9-10; Phil 1:6; Heb 3:14; 1 Peter 1:5; 1 John 1:9)
6. The Lord Jesus Christ, who was resurrected from the tomb and ascended into Heaven, will visibly and powerfully return to earth in power and glory. After this there will be a final judgment for all mankind, the righteous to eternal life and the unrighteous to eternal punishment. (Matt 25:31-46; 28:5-7; John 14:3; 1 Thess 4:16; Acts 1:7-11; Rev 1:7; 20:11-15)
Statement of Risk
We recognize that there is always an inherent risk in the nature of OLD School semester courses. We also recognize the benefit of these risks in education, experience and connection. OLD School students will travel for long periods of time in wilderness environments, participating in technical outdoor skill courses that often take them hours or days away from advanced medical care. We believe that these risks are an integral part of OLD School courses, and that our organization is well-equipped and trained to identify and manage these risks.