SWO Approved: Favorite Biographies
The staff here loves to read about godly men and women that God has used in mighty ways. Look below to find some of our favorite biographies of pastors, missionaries, and Christians who followed Christ unwaveringly. Follow the links to buy on Amazon:
- Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy – Dietrich Bonhoeffer (by Eric Metaxas)
- Bonhoeffer was a German pastor living, preaching, writing and ministering in the midst of WWII. He loved the German people with the love of Christ, and stood strong against Hitler’s regime for the sake of our Lord and His Church. This biography is filled with historical notes, letters, pictures, sermons, and insight into the pastor that ran an underground seminary while participating in the Valkyrie plot to assinate Adolf Hitler.
- To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson (by Courtney Anderson)
- “For Adoniram Judson the golden shore brought bitter hardships, imprisonment, and family tragedy. Yet, he never wavered in his commitment to win people to faith in Christ and to translate the Bible into the Burmese language.”
- The Heavenly Man – Brother Yun
- Brother Yun has been one of the foremost house church leaders in China, undergoing tremendous persecution and imprisonment by the government. This autobiography covers his life from age sixteen, through three imprisonments and now exile in Germany.
- The Autobiography of George Mueller
- “These excerpts from his diary allow Mller to tell his own story. Join him on his journey from a life of sin and rebellion to his glorious conversion. Share his struggles and triumphs as he establishes orphan homes to care for thousands of English children, depending on God’s response to his prayer of faith to supply all things.”
- Tortured for Christ – Richard Wurmbrand
- “In this stirring account, Wurmbrand (founder of The Voice of the Martyrs) encourages us to remember those in chains and equips us to help our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ around the world.”