SWO Approved: Marriage Resources
In following the focus on marriage here at SWO during October, we wanted to share with you five key resources that are “SWO approved.” These resources are fruitful towards the growth of your marriage through focusing your thoughts, prayers, words and actions on the glory of God and the richness of the Gospel displayed through a marriage that honors Christ.
- This Momentary Marriage – John Piper (book)
- Free PDF download is available at this link, or you can buy the Kindle book or hardcopy through Amazon. Many marriage books do a phenomenal job focusing on practical communication in marriage, but Piper refreshingly goes straight to the heart of God’s purpose in marriage in this short book. Our marriages are the best earthly opportunity to represent Christ’s love for the Church exhibited in the Gospel. Read it!
- Prophets, Priests, Kings – Brody Holloway (podcast)
- Brody, SWO teaching pastor, closed out the 2013 Be Strong men’s conference by looking at the Bible’s mandate for husbands and fathers. Men, we are called to act as prophets, priests, and kings in the way we serve our wives and love our children. Don’t slack, because Christ will equip you!
- No Ordinary Marriage – Tim Savage (book)
- “In No Ordinary Marriage, we see how husbands and wives can unite in a relationship whose upward potential knows no limits, a partnership in which the glory of God can erupt in all its incandescent wonder. Two people can – quite literally – marry for the glory of God.”
- Christ: The Cornerstone of Our Marriage – Amy Davis (podcast)
- Amy Davis speaks to women during the Respond Women’s Retreat on how marriage is an example of the relationship between Christ and the Church. Christ pursues us, rescues us, redeems us, leads us, and protects us; and the church should respond in submission and joyful obedience.
- Let Me Be a Woman – Elisabeth Elliot (book)
- “In order to learn what it means to be a woman, we must start with the One who made her.” Working from Scripture, Elisabeth Elliot shares her observations and experiences. In this letter to her daughter, she gives insight on what it means to be a godly woman in preparation for marriage.